This month's meeting is co-sponsored by the RVC Hispanic Brotherhood.
7:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m. - General Updates
- Updates from RaisingVoicesUSA working groups
- Key Election Day news and updates
7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m. - Panel discussion
The Latino Experience on Long Island: Issues and Actions
Latinos have been part of the fabric of Long Island for decades, yet recent discussions about immigration have brought them to the forefront today. In this moderated panel discussion and Q&A session, we will address what it’s like to be Latino on Long Island, the challenges Latinos face every day, how that impacts the larger society and how we can ally ourselves with this vital, hardworking and successful group of Long Islanders.
Presented in conjunction with the RVC Hispanic Brotherhood, the panel will be moderated by Graciela Elizalde-Utnick, Ph.D. of CUNY's Brooklyn College. Panelists include:
- Osman Caneles, organizer of the Long Island Immigrant Student Advocates
- Dr. Harold Fernández, a Colombian immigrant who studied at Princeton University even though he was undocumented
- Patrick Young, Esq., Director of Legal Services at the Central American Refugee Center (CARECEN) and Special Professor of Immigration Law at Hofstra University.
- Margarita Grasing, Executive Director of Hispanic Brotherhood of Rockville Centre
A Q & A session will follow, moderated by Liz Stack, member of RaisingVoicesUSA’s Unity and Diversity Committee.